Article I. Name
The name of this organization shall be the International Student Chapter of the American Chemical Society (ACS) at Tecnológico de Costa Rica (TEC).
Article II. Objectives
The objectives of this Chapter shall be to:
- afford an opportunity for students of a chemical science or subjects related to become better acquainted.
- secure the intellectual stimulation that arises from professional association.
- obtain experience in preparing and presenting technical material to specialized and non-specialized audiences.
- foster a professional spirit among the members and the TEC community.
- instill a professional pride in the chemical sciences and related, and
- foster an awareness of the responsabilities and challenges of the modern science
Article III. Vision, mission, and values
The vision of this Chapter is “Serve as a lighthouse of chemistry in our communities”. The mission of this Chapter is “Empower students and the community through knowledge”.
The values of this Chapter are: i) respect, ii) compromise with success, iii) diversity, and iv) passion for the chemical sciences.
Article IV. Membership
The membership of this organization shall be composed of Student Members of the ACS. Students who are not an ACS Student Member may be chapter members but may neither hold office nor have voting power.
The Student Members must have at least one year enrolled at TEC.
This Chapter accepts Student Members for all different backgrounds and social status and supports diversity, equity and inclusion
Article V. Officers
The officers of this Chapter shall be a President, a Vice-President, a Secretary, a Treasurer, a Secretary of Communications, and a Vocal, who shall constitute the Executive Committee.
The Executive Committee must call to elections in April for President and Treasurer and in May for the rest of positions.
The officers shall be elected by secret vote of the active ACS Student Members in an election process organized by the Faculty Advisor.
The Executive Committee shall take office on May 8th and shall hold it for one year or until their successors are duly elected.
Article VI. Duties of Officers
The duties of the President will be:
- Be the official representative of the TEC Student Chapter of the American Chemical Society at national and international events.
- Guide the local meetings.
- Present an annual report to the ACS Student Members.
- Promote activities, events and symposia at local level.
- Sign the official documents of the Chapter.
- Keep communication with the Members and other Chapters in Costa Rica and outside the country.
- Defend the rights of the Members of the Chapter.
The duties of the Vice-President will:
- Substitute the President during his/her absence or resignation.
- Support the President in the organization and guidance of meetings, activities and other events organized by the Chapter.
- Supervise the activities assigned to the Members of the Chapter.
- Compile evidence of the activities done by the Chapter.
The duties of the Secretary will be:
- Keep a record of the meetings of the Chapter.
- Convene the chapter meetings.
- Sign the official documents of the Chapter, together with the President.
- Manage the official email of the Chapter.
The duties of the Treasurer will be:
- Make sure of the control and management of the financial oversights of the Chapter.
- Keep a control of the expenses and incomes of the Chapter.
- Present an annual financial report to the Executive Committee.
The duties of the Secretary of Communications will be:
- Manage the social networks of the Chapter.
- Communicate the activities and events organized by the Chapter.
- Find collaborations with other organizations.
The duties of the Vocal will be:
Substitute any Executive Committee member during their absence or resignation.
Article VII. Faculty Advisor
The Chapter shall, at its annual election, elect as its Faculty Advisor a faculty member who is a member of the American Chemical Society, whose duties shall be to advise the Chapter both in its local activities and in its relations with the Society. The Advisor shall be kept informed of all Chapter activities and shall advise the Chapter on any policy matters.
Article VIII. Professional Advisor
The Chapter may, at its annual election, select as its Professional Advisor a non-faculty member of the American Chemical Society. This person shall assist the Chapter in its relations with the Local Section of the Society and with the industrial community.
Article IX. Meetings
Regular meetings shall be held, at least every two weeks and must be called by the Executive Committee or by any ACS Student Member representing more than 25% of the active members.
Regular and extraordinary meetings will take place at TEC facilities or online, depending of the current situation.
If necessary, and after the approval of the Executive Committee, a meeting can be convened. Special events may be arranged through the Executive Committee. There shall be at least three activities per year.
Article X. Dues
The annual national dues of the student member shall be sent individually to the Society or may be transmitted by the Treasurer of the Chapter.
Membership in the Chapter is limited to those who have paid the corresponding dues.
Article XI. Chapter Reports
The Chapter shall send to the Department of Higher Education/Undergraduate Programs a chapter report of its activities. This report shall be submitted online in the Spring at least once every three years.
The Society shall be informed promptly of the results of all elections of officers and Faculty Advisors.
Article XII. Amendments
These bylaws may be amended by a two-thirds vote of the active members, provided that the amendments shall have been proposed at least one meeting previous the time of voting. Such amendments shall confirm to the ACS regulations established for ACS student chapters.